Am Baile: highland history and cultureHighland Council logo

Eilean-a-Chat, Plockton

Eilean-a-Chat, Plockton

Larger picture

Print this page

Email a friend

Make a Comment

Add to Scrapbook

Share

LOCATION: Plockton
PERIOD: 1930s; 1940s
DISTRICT: South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH: ROSS:Lochalsh
CONTRIBUTOR: Highland Libraries
COLLECTION NAME: Postcards
location map

This postcard shows the island of Eilean-a-Chait at Plockton. Plockton Lighthouse sits on the island. Built around 1880, there was a small cottage built onto the lighthouse tower for the lighthouse keeper. As this was only big enough to accommodate one person a second house was built for the keeper's wife on the nearby island of Eilean-an-Duine. When the tide is low it is possible to wade between the two islands. The lighthouse was de-activated during the 1920s and the buildings on both islands are now privately owned. A family now occupies the house on Eilean-an-Duine but the lighthouse is closed and inaccessible to the public



IDENTIFIER: QZP40_CARD_0847


Some other items in this collection...



Saltburn, Invergordon

Saltburn, Invergordon

Winding road round Loch Maree

Winding road round Loch Maree

Loch Brittle and Rhu Point

Loch Brittle and Rhu Point

Views around John O' Groats

Views around John O' Groats





Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Am Baile/The Gaelic Village